Terrorists destroy Zamfara communities again
By Valentine Amanze
Terrorists have killed no fewer than 100 villagers in Zamfara State, Northwest Nigeria, in a fresh attack that lasted three days.
Zamfara State government confirmed that the attack, which began on Tuesday, lasted till Thursday morning.
The state Commissioner for Information, Ibrahim Dosara, said that the exact number of casualties had not been ascertained.
In fact, he said that they were awaiting more information about the incident including the number of casualties.
He further disclosed on Friday that a military aircraft had been deployed to the area to locate the criminals, who had a field day killing and destroying Zamfara communities.
His words: “As of now, a military aircraft has been deployed along with security forces as a manhunt for the attackers continues,” while residents narrated their ordeal.
They told Nigeria News Flight that the criminals arrived in large numbers in the Anka and Bukkuyum local government areas of Zamfara State on Tuesday evening, shooting and burning down houses until Thursday.
An indegene of Bukkuyum, Abubakar Ahmed, said, “They [terrorists] killed more than 100 people.
“Nine communities were affected in the incident.”
Also, in Anka, a resident, Aliyu Anka, confirmed that the casualty figure was more than 100.
“In one village, they killed people from 20 years and above.
“Some have been buried, some were burnt and we are still looking for bodies.”
Meanwhile, no group has claimed responsibility for the attack but blame quickly fell on the armed Fulani groups, who have carried out thousands of abductions and killings in the northwest and central states of the West African nation, according to AP.
Africa’s most populous country (Nigeria) has been struggling to contain pockets of insecurity by such violent attacks especially in the troubled northern region but the latest incident is one of the deadliest in recent years.