By Valentine Amanze
Manchester United interim manager, Ralf Rangnick, has said that non-release of Jesse Lingard to join another club during the January transfer window was caused by Mason Greenwood’s arrest and suspension by the club.
Rangnick said Thursday that it was difficult to allow Lingard, attacking midfielder, who was linked to a lone move to Newcastle, to leave the club.
His words: “It was two things. One thing was obviously that we had a problem with Mason Greenwood and being without a player for the time being that has played regularly in the last couple of weeks.
“And on the other hand, the club couldn’t find an agreement with any other club.”
Rangnick also disclosed that the England midfielder, Lingard, who has struggled for game time this season, had been given the weekend off to clear his head after failing to get a move.
“He asked me and the club if we could give him a couple of days off just to clear up his mind and he will be back in the group, I suppose, next Monday, back for training and then be a regular part of the whole squad again,” Rangnick said.
Meanwhile, France midfielder, Paul Pogba, 28, is set to be part of the Manchester United squad for the Middlesbrough game at Old Trafford.
Pogba, who is out of contract at the end of the season, has not featured for United since the Champions League draw at Atalanta on November 2 after sustaining a thigh injury on international duty with France.
“Paul will be part of the group,” Rangnick said. “He might even be in the starting XI. There are still a couple of players missing out.”
Recall that Greenwood was arrested on Sunday over the alleged rape and assault of a young woman.
While still in custody, the 20-year-old was further arrested on Tuesday on suspicion of sexual assault and threats to kill.