No #1 News site in Nigeria

Champions League quarter-final: Real Madrid, Manchester City draw 3-3

Phil Foden’s goal at the Bernabeu was his 22nd of the season for Manchester City.

Arsenal play 2-2 with Bayern Munich

Two Premier League clubs, which are in the Champions League quarter-final, Manchester City and Arsenal, on Tuesday April 9, 2024, kept hope alive as they shared points equally with Real Madrid and Bayern Munich, respectively.

Playing before an intimidating Real Madrid fans in Bernabeu, the defending champions, Manchester City showed class in the second minute when Bernardo Silva cleverly snuck a 25-yard free-kick round the wall past goalkeeper Andriy Lunin.

But, two deflected strikes brought 14-time European Cup winners, Real Madrid, level. First Eduardo Camavinga’s long-range effort hit Ruben Dias and spun into the far corner of Stefan Ortega’s goal, before Rodrygo got in behind the Manchester City defence and poked home via Manuel Akanji’s heel.

Manchester City were dominant in possession throughout under the closed roof of the Bernabeu but lacked quality in the final third – until Phil Foden stepped up.

Also read: How Amad grabbed FA Cup semi-final ticket for Manchester United

The England midfielder had been on the periphery of the game but found space just outside the area to turn and fire into the top corner to pull Manchester City level.

Moments later left-back, Josko Gvardiol, cut in and found the far corner with a superb right-foot shot to score his first goal since joining Manchester City from RB Leipzig in the summer.

However, Madrid equalised with a stunning volley from Federico Valverde to set up an intriguing second leg on Wednesday, April 17 at Etihad Stadium, where City beat Madrid 4-0 in last season’s semi-finals.

At Emirates Stadium on Tuesday, Arsenal managed to resue a point in the dying minutes from Bayern Munich.

Though the match ended in a 2-2 draw, it was marred in controversy, as the centre referee denied both sides clear penalties.

The Gunners had fought back from 2-1 down to level through substitute Leandro Trossard but, deep in stoppage time, Bukayo Saka went down under Manuel Neuer’s challenge inside the box.

The home fans screamed for a penalty but all appeals were waved away by referee Glenn Nyberg, who blew the final whistle soon after to a chorus of boos.

Related articles

Arrow Strike