No #1 News site in Nigeria

Police arrest INEC official over office fire outbreak in Ebonyi

The INEC office in Ebonyi.

.Police commissioner calls for installation of CCTV cameras to enhance security


By Mkpuma Enyinna,



Police have arrested a security officer attached to the Independent Electoral Commission (INEC) office in Izzi Local Government Area of Ebonyi State following the fire outbreak that destroyed major parts of the building and other office facilities including voting materials.

Also, the Commissioner of Police in Ebonyi State, CP Aliyu Garba, has called on the government to install solar powered CCTV  cameras to enhance security of lives and properties in the state.

These were contained in a statement issued by the Command’s Public Relations Officer, SP Chris Anyanwu, as a rejoinder to the reportage of the fire incident at the INEC office in Iboko in Izzi Local Government Area.

“The Ebonyi State Commissioner of Police, CP Aliyu Garba psc(+), further advises interalia, that all INEC offices in the state should be installed with solar-powered CCTV cameras and fire-fighting tools,” he stated.

Besides, he assured of constant Police protection of the facilities to complement the civilian security guards.

“It has become indeed pertinent to put up this report as a rejoinder to the wrong  reportage cum impression created by unfounded stories making rounds on various platforms with regards to the fire incident that occurred at INEC office Iboko in Izzi LGA,” he stated.

Also read: Tinubu lacks capacity to appreciate facts, figures – Obi-Datti

He explained that On Sunday, November 27, 2022, at about 1145hrs, a report was received by Ebonyi State Police Command that the office of the Independent Electoral Commission (INEC) situated at Iboko Izzi LGA was gutted by fire.

“The fire incident was reported to the Mobile Policemen on duty by Nwebe Emmanuel, a retired security staff of INEC, who was in his farm at the time, located adjacent the INEC office. The PMF men inturn alerted the Divisional Police Officer at Izzi who then reported the situation to the Commissioner of Police.

“Pronto, the Deputy Commissioner of Police in-charge State Criminal Investigation/Intelligence Department alongside a team of his detectives and tactical teams swung into action. On arrival at the scene, the DCP met the DPO of Izzi, his men and other locals making frantic efforts to put off the fire as attempt to reach the Fire Service proved abortive.

“The team faced the challenge of gaining access into the premises as the INEC staff who locked up the gates and the main building was nowhere to be found. However, the gate was forced open and the inferno was brought under control, but regrettably, over 60% of the building was already affected.”

Related articles

Arrow Strike